Knowing this gives the help desk technician a gauge for how critical the end user’s problem is. All our trainers are highly qualified, have 10+ years of real-world experience and will provide you with an engaging learning experience. We run courses in 1200 locations, across 200 countries in one of our hand-picked training venues, providing the all important ‘human touch’ which may be missed in other learning styles. Our fully interactive online training platform is compatible across all devices and can be accessed from anywhere, at any time. All our online courses come with a standard 90 days access that can be extended upon request. Our expert trainers are constantly on hand to help you with any questions which may arise.
Additionally, a senior infrastructure engineer has the authority to make decisions, train and supervise junior engineers, establish goals and timelines, provide technical support, and implement policies and guidelines. While similarities exist, there are also some differences between help desk engineers and desktop support specialist. A help desk engineer provides technical support to end-users, both remotely or in-person. They are responsible for troubleshooting and resolving technical issues related to hardware, software, and network systems. Help desk engineers work in a variety of industries, including IT, healthcare, finance, and government.
Best price in the industry
Talk about what elements of being a help desk analyst first intrigued your and why you have chosen to pursue this as your career. F it’s online, be sure to have a private space where you can do the interview and have decent internet access. To become a help desk analyst, most employers will require some form of formal education, whether that’s from a university or college. The program you take as your education should be related to some form of computer science or specific to becoming a help desk analyst.
Even though most help desk engineers have a college degree, it’s possible to become one with only a high school degree or GED. If you’re interested in becoming a help desk engineer, one of the first things to consider is how much education you need. We’ve determined that 51.1% of help desk engineers have a bachelor’s degree.
What Similar Roles Do
This is where you might start to build out a niche for a specific software or technology, and grow the rest of your career off of it. For me, this was where I learned VMware and it just took off and brought me where I am today. If you find something that does, grab ahold of it and learn all you can. Help desk engineers and desk support technicians both require similar skills like “troubleshoot,” “help-desk support,” and “technical support” to carry out their responsibilities.
- If you have an in-person interview, make sure to have your outfit picked out the night before and ensure you leave early enough to make it to the location on time.
- Help desk engineers work in a variety of industries, including IT, healthcare, finance, and government.
- A help desk technician’s role can actually do you—and your career—plenty of good.
- The most common skills required to be a help desk engineer are troubleshoot, help-desk support, and technical support.
- Another quality every help desk technician should possess is the ability to pay attention to detail.
By completing a practicum, this gives you real hands-on experience in a professional environment. With experience, you could become a manager help desk engineer or senior IT support technician. This piece of ad content was created by Rasmussen University to support its educational programs.
Help Desk Technician: The First Step on Your IT Career Path
To get here, you have to have had lots of hands on experience, both with successful deployments and failed deployments. There isn’t an architect out there who hasn’t dealt with failures or mistakes in their career. At this level you are an influencer, trusted advisor and liaison between the decision makers and the administrators/engineers who will bring your design to life. It helps to have been an admin at one point in your career to understand what the team will go through with implementing a design. You could get started as a trainee technician and do qualifications while you work.
- In general, desk support technicians achieve similar levels of education than help desk engineers.
- All our online courses come with a standard 90 days access that can be extended upon request.
- Getting started as a help desk professional can be as easy as earning a foundational IT certification.
- Help desk work is an excellent place to refine the soft skills that will serve you well as you progress in your career.
- Factors that can influence your salary in this role include experience, education level, industry, location, and company.
They use their technical knowledge of hardware and software to help troubleshoot problems users encounter. Beyond that technical proficiency, they must also have excellent interpersonal skills to interact with customers. Osman says working in a help desk role provides opportunities to network with more advanced technicians and engineers, as well as gain a better understanding of how other teams operate and resolve issues. This additional perspective can be incredibly helpful for narrowing down what would be a wide-open IT career path. Find a mentor that will help you understand the ins and outs of the technology that your organization is utilizing and sit in on any architecture or design meetings that you can.